A tramdepot from the end of the 19th century.
The former “Buurtspoorweg” depot of Schepdaal goes back to the period when the first steam trams ran in Belgium: 1887.
There is a station building that served as the station chiefs residence with a staff dormitory, a waiting room and ticket offices where travelers could purchase their tickets.
On the other side of the track is a locomotive shed with an adjacent blacksmith shop and lamp warehouse. The steam locomotives were stored in this shed. Along the left side of the shed, the locomotives passed a quay where the coal briquettes were stored to stoke the fires in the steam engines, followed by a small building that housed a pumping station. Further on are a water tower and a former sand warehouse. Across the tracks there is an elongated building . Goods were temporarily stored here and loaded and unloaded on the adjacent loading quays. When we walk further back to the large carriage sheds, the highly branched railway infrastructure is particularly striking (from 1 track at the entrance to 7 tracks). The smaller shed on the right is the older of the two and could house up to 12 wagons. The larger shed on the left, dating from 1908, had a double capacity: up to 24 wagons.
All buildings were executed in a typical industrial brick architecture with a classicistic accent, which can be found in so many industrial buildings from this period.